The first signs of tomato poisoning are detected within 1-2 hours (sometimes even 24-48 hours) after a toxic or infectious agent enters the body. The severity and variety of the clinical picture depends on the type of intoxication, its cause, as well as on the general health and age of the patient.
The main signs of tomato intoxication are:
- deterioration in general health, weakness, loss of appetite, dizziness;
- temperature increase;
- abdominal pain (persistent or crampy);
- nausea, often with vomiting;
- increased gas formation;
- headache, changes in blood pressure.
With severe poisoning with neurotoxic substances, the following symptoms can be observed:
- severe dizziness, delirium, hallucinations;
- numbness of the limbs, trembling in the fingers;
- dehydration (increased breathing and heart rate, dry mouth);
- clouding of consciousness;
- drop in muscle tone.
These symptoms are characteristic of an infection such as botulism, a dangerous condition that requires urgent medical attention. 
The severity of the clinical picture is directly dependent on the number of consumed tomatoes. If the patient ate a little low-quality vegetables, then the symptoms recede relatively quickly, and if a lot, it intensifies and becomes more complicated. 
With severe poisoning, certain symptoms may be present during the recovery stage. For a long time after intoxication, many patients continue to worry about:
- general weakness, asthenia;
- vegetative-vascular reactions, sweating, unstable hemodynamics;
- hypersensitivity of the digestive tract to raw vegetables and fruits, dairy products;
- increased gas formation, instability of the stool.
Such symptoms indicate a decrease in the adaptive capabilities of the gastrointestinal tract and can lead to the development of chronic diseases of the digestive system. 
Poisoning with green tomatoes
Tomatoes are eaten not only red, but also green - unripe. Such fruits have a specific taste that many people like. However, unripe tomatoes also contain toxic components, one of which is the well-known solanine, which in high doses can cause severe poisoning.
Solanine is a toxic glycoalkaloid that provides natural protection for the fruit from mold. In the process of ripening vegetables, the content of this poison decreases, therefore, the lighter and redder the fruit, the safer it is. It is worth noting that in low concentrations, solanine is even useful: it strengthens the cardiovascular system, has antiviral activity. However, if you eat 5-6 rich green tomatoes, then poisoning is almost guaranteed. 
In addition to solanine, green tomatoes also contain components such as lycopene and tomato:
- Lycopene is a strong antioxidant that can prevent DNA mutations and the development of cancer, prevent lens pathology and atherosclerosis. But an overdose of this substance is dangerous in terms of poisoning. 
- Tomatin - an active antioxidant and immunomodulator, is the base of the famous cortisone medication. Excessive consumption of tomato can cause serious poisoning.
Experts explain: in order for an adult to be able to benefit from unripe tomatoes and not get poisoned, you should choose fruits of a light green color and eat them in an amount not exceeding 300 g per day. Children should not be given green tomatoes. During heat treatment, the concentration of hazardous substances in vegetables is significantly reduced.
Poisoning with fresh tomatoes
Tomatoes, like many other vegetables, are susceptible to a large number of diseases: fungal, microbial, viral, as well as damage by insect pests, etc. Many diseases arise from improper or insufficient feeding of plants during growth, deficiency or excess watering.
Diseased plants - for example, when apical rot appears - are not recommended to be eaten. Even if the brown lesion is carefully cut away, the infection can remain on the seemingly healthy parts of the vegetable. If you eat such a tomato, then a person may develop digestive disorders, the intestinal microflora is disturbed.
Poisoning can be obtained even if you eat tomatoes that were lying near a rotten specimen without first washing them. Thoroughly washing vegetables and fruits just before eating is an important rule for the prevention of intoxication and digestive disorders.
Poisoning with canned tomatoes
In the winter season, tomatoes are consumed mainly in canned form. It can be pickled and pickled tomatoes, tomato salads, lecho, adjika, ketchup, etc. Housewives know many recipes for such preservation, which can be stored for a long time without losing taste. However, in some cases, such blanks can be poisoned. The reasons may be as follows:
- insufficiently washed and poorly sterilized containers for conservation;
- the use of broken, rotten, spoiled tomatoes, poorly washed greens;
- improper preparation of the brine;
- the use of insufficiently tight, leaky covers;
- storage in unsuitable conditions, or too long storage of an already opened can.
The first signs that a product is a poisoning hazard are:
- swelling of the lid;
- cloudy liquid in the jar;
- the appearance of signs of fermentation (foam, gas formation).
Spoiled canned tomatoes should not be eaten; they should be thrown away.
Poisoning with cucumbers and tomatoes
Toxic components in vegetables are most often represented by nitrates - salts of nitric acid, which enter the fruits from the soil along with fertilizers. If there is not enough nitrogen in the soil, then a normal crop cannot be obtained, because this mineral is responsible for the formation of plant stems and leaves.
However, if top dressing is not applied to the soil on time, or in the wrong dosage, then the nitrate content in vegetables will exceed the safe concentration.
Nitrate poisoning with cucumbers and tomatoes is manifested by the following symptoms:
- severe fatigue, headache;
- pain in the abdomen, heart;
- darkening in the eyes;
- digestive disorders.
Poisoning occurs when the threshold of a safe daily dose is exceeded, which for an adult is 3.7 mg / kg of body weight, and for a child - 0.2 mg / kg of weight. That is, if vegetables contain a large amount of nitrates, and a person has eaten a lot of fruits, then the risk of intoxication increases significantly. Usually tomatoes contain a relatively low concentration of a toxic compound - about 80-100 mg / kg of the product (for comparison: watermelons, melons, beets can accumulate up to 5 thousand mg of nitrogen salts).