The main principles of treatment of serous mastitis are the normalization of the outflow of milk, which removes the severity of edema and improves blood circulation and lymph drainage from the site. This allows the serous fluid inside the gland to be absorbed, and the problem is solved by itself. In this case, non-drug methods of treatment are used, and medicines can be used only symptomatically or for the purpose of prevention.
First of all, it must be emphasized that if the mastitis is serous, and the woman does not take antibacterial drugs, then breastfeeding should be continued, because it improves the outflow of milk and accelerates recovery.
To begin treatment of a serous mastitis it is necessary with correct decanting of milk. For this, you can simply express with light massaging movements along the duct in a radial direction to the nipple, or you need to use a breast pump. After all, it is necessary not only to improve the outflow of milk through the milk ducts, but to eliminate the milk that is stagnant and may be the source of further infection. The use of such a breast pump should be correct, according to the instructions. Eliminating milk stagnation reduces edema and allows the serous fluid to be absorbed faster and withdrawn with an outflow of lymph. Very good in the treatment of serous mastitis massage. The advantage of this method of treatment is not only its effectiveness, but also the possibility of treatment at home. Massage in this case relaxes the muscle fibers of the milk duct, stimulates their contraction, and thus the reduction of these fibers improves and milk is better excreted from the milk duct, and then lactation itself improves. Thus the condensed sites in a breast can be massaged and normalize outflow of milk from these sites. Also, massage improves blood circulation and lymph drainage from the chest, which in turn removes swelling in serous mastitis. The result of this method depends on the correctness of all the components of the massage and the subsequent expression of milk. For proper performance, massage movements should be neat and light to avoid pain and trauma. The technique of this procedure is to use stroking, rubbing, kneading with accurate smooth movements. Fingers of two hands need to carry out massaging movements from the top to the nipple. Next, you need to spend stroking around the gland in the direction of the armpits - to the places of lymph drainage. After such a massage, you must necessarily express the milk and you can put a warm warmer on the chest, which relaxes the muscle fibers and improves blood circulation. The course of massage should be carried out during a week two times a day. After a few procedures, the effect will be noticeable in the form of a decrease in the size of the gland and removal of the serous infiltrate.
Medications that are used for serous mastitis are mainly directed to local symptomatic action. Systemic administration of medications for serous mastitis is not required. To treat use of compresses from ointments and tinctures. The main drugs that are used to treat:
- But-shpa is a drug that has a myotropic antispasmodic property, which is realized due to the action of arterial vessels on the muscle fibers, and this leads to their expansion and to a decrease in pressure. With serous mastitis, the drug is used as a combined treatment as a compress to improve the outflow of milk and reduce the severity of symptoms. This is how the analgesic effect of no-shpa is realized with pain in the chest and its engorgement. An additional effect of the drug is its tocolytic effect, which makes it possible to use it even in the first days of the postpartum period. Side effects of the drug may manifest dyspepsia - nausea, pain in the abdomen, a violation of the stool. In people with disabilities, the drug can cause allergic reactions of varying degrees from simple rashes to severe swelling. A sharp vasodilation can cause a decrease in blood pressure and a bradycardia. The widening of the peripheral vessels of the skin can be manifested by hyperemia and excessive work of sweat glands. The method of using no-shpy and the dose that is used depend on the severity of the symptoms and the need for a rapid analgesic effect. The dosage of tablets is 10, 20, 40 milligrams. The solution in ampoules is 2% in the volume of 2 milliliters. For complex treatment it is recommended to use intramuscular no-shpu or in the form of tablet forms with severe pain syndrome, and also as compresses for local treatment. To do this, take a few ampoules no-shpa, dilute in a glass, then moisten the gauze fabric, folded in several layers, and apply to the densified sections of the breast. From above you can attach a dry gauze cloth and a film. It is better to wear loose linen so that there is no strong compression. Such compresses need to be done several times a day.
- Malawit is a natural remedy, which includes many components - sage, mint, chamomile, yarrow, peony, calamus, calendula, bark of oak, birch, pine, resin of fir tree and cedar, as well as glycerin and other oils. Due to this composition the preparation has anti-edematous, anti-inflammatory action, relieves itching and soreness. The drug is available in the form of a solution for external use, so for the treatment of serous mastitis it is necessary to apply the drug as a compress. For such a compress, you need to take 50 milliliters of Malavita solution and Dimexide can be added to it, then make a gauze pad and soak in the solution. Such a compress is better to do several times a day or alternate its use with compresses from no-shpy.
- Progestogen is a hormonal drug consisting of progesterone - a natural hormone. Due to the shape of the release, such a tool is conveniently used in the form of a gel for the treatment of similar pathologies, especially if mastitis is lactative. Progesterone penetrates the breast tissue and reduces vascular permeability, relieves edema and normalizes the mitotic activity of milk duct cells. The progestogen is not absorbed into the systemic circulation and does not cause adverse reactions, but there may be slight redness or itching in the area of application. Dosage and method of using the drug - a small droplet of gel needs to be grinded over the mammary gland, applying this treatment twice a day. Precautions - can not be used for more than two weeks, as local complications are possible due to the composition of the drug.
- Menovazine is an ointment, which includes alcohol, menthol, anesthesin and novocaine, so the analgesic effect of the drug is revealed. Menthol also dilates blood vessels and improves blood circulation in the gland. The way of application of the preparation is to apply a small amount of ointment on the breast with massaging movements. Side effects are possible in the form of redness in the place of use of the ointment, which is caused by the presence of menthol. If the sensation of itching is strongly pronounced, then it is necessary to wash off the ointment. Precautions - do not use the drug in case of allergy to novocaine.
Vitamins for the treatment of serous mastitis can be used in complex therapy, especially if the nutritional diet of the nursing mother does not adequately provide all the nutrients. In this case, the use of complex vitamins in combination with trace elements - Vitrum, Supradin, Undevit, Quadevite is recommended.
Physiotherapeutic treatment of serous mastitis has a very good healing effect due to its active effect on the vessels and parenchyma of the gland. The main effect of such procedures is to improve the lymph flow and circulation, which relieves swelling, pain and inflammation. You can use many techniques, but only if there is no purulent inflammation. Electrophoresis is the method by which drugs penetrate the skin with ions under the influence of tension. In this case, you can use Magnesia, Dimexide, Malavit and other antiseptics, and anti-inflammatory drugs. This accelerates their effect and improves the effect of these drugs. You can also use infrasound and magnetotherapy with a high-intensity impulse wave.
Alternative treatment of serous mastitis
Alternative treatment of serous mastitis is used very often, since this process can be cured by such means without the help of antibacterial drugs. To this end, use herbal packs and herbal remedies, which, together with the proper decantation of milk, are very effective. The main alternative recipes are:
- Compresses from cabbage are known for their pronounced effect for any edema, including swelling of the breast caused by serous mastitis. Cabbage leaf restores local blood circulation and normalizes the function of milk allocation, which is very important in the treatment of mastitis. To prepare the compress, you need to take a cabbage leaf from the middle of the head, rinse it in warm water and put on the chest, fixing the top with linen. This compress is best done at night. In the morning, you need to express the milk.
- Honey - a product known for its multifaceted therapeutic effect, which contributes to the improvement of filtration and absorption of serous fluid from the interstitial tissue of the mammary gland. It can be used as a compress in combination with other drugs, for example with papaverine, magnesium sulfate or other ointments. For the compress, you need to take honey in a semi-solid state, make a small cake of it and put it on your chest. Such a compress should be covered from above with a food film, which improves the warming effect. The duration of therapy is at least two hours per day.
- The alcohol compress is known for its warming properties, but only if there are no contraindications in the form of purulent inflammation. To make such a compress you need to take alcohol, wet the gauze in it, you can also add aloe juice, and apply it as a compress. But we should not forget about the possible harm of such a compress for the baby, so before breastfeeding you need to wash your chest.
Treatment with herbs for serous mastitis is also very effective, since herbs can be used as a compress, as well as healing infusions or ointments.
- Arnica is a plant that has a very good effect with proper and systematic use. This plant has anti-edematous effect, spasmolytic, desensitizing. Also, the drug activates the processes of resorption of the infiltrate, stimulating the release of milk along the ducts, and thus improves blood circulation, thereby reducing the severity of the gland and swelling. As a compress you need to use tincture, why boil the grass in hot water. Treatment should be done in the morning and in the evening, by applying a compress to the affected areas.
- Yarrow - has many useful fatty acids that are able to penetrate the skin and normalize lactation processes with the relaxation of the milk ducts. To prepare the compress you need to steal the grass and make a compress from the present. Ingestion can be done in parallel with the use of honey.
- St. John's wort - is used because of its spasmolytic effect, and also because of the property to reduce the pressure in the vessels and improve the outflow of blood from the site of the inflammatory tissue. To prepare a compress, you need to insist leaves of St. John's wort in a small amount of water and apply throughout the day several times.
Homeopathy can also be widely used in the treatment of serous mastitis, as a local remedy.
- Mucose compositum is a homeopathic remedy of inorganic origin. This remedy improves local blood circulation in the mammary gland, and is especially effective for cracking the nipple and breast tenderness. The dosage of the drug at the beginning of treatment is five homeopathic granules three times a day, then two weeks later, you need to reduce the dose to three beads per day. Side effects are possible in the form of drawing pains or discomfort in the lower abdomen, which occurs after a few days. Precautions - You can not use the drug with a purulent process in the gland.
- Echinacea is a homeopathic remedy of natural plant origin. This plant is predominantly a systemic means for improving lactation, since the plant stimulates the active excretion of milk. The method of using the drug is the use of a homeopathic solution in ampoules, dissolving them in pure water. When lactostasis is dosed half the teaspoon twice a day. Side effects can be in the form of increased pressure, tachycardia, insomnia. Violations of stools in the form of perforations are often observed. Precautions - if you have arterial hypertension take with caution, under the control of blood pressure - when lifting it, you need to reduce the dose or stop taking the drug.
- Merkulius is a one-component preparation that has a very pronounced spasmolytic effect due to the relaxation of cells in the muscle fibers. For the treatment of lactostasis, it is recommended to use ointment, which is especially effective for pronounced edema and a feeling of heaviness in the chest.
Operative treatment of serous mastitis can be used only in the development of complications. If it is a question of infection and development of purulent mastitis and abscess, then surgical treatment should be used. In this case, the purulent focus is opened, drainage and active antibacterial therapy. In other cases, when serous mastitis has a benign course, surgical intervention is not required.