If dark urine has arisen because of pathological factors, then there are various painful symptoms. Most often, this deterioration in overall well-being, increased weakness, dizziness and headaches, fever.
In some cases, there are painful sensations, pain and burning sensation when urinating, pain in the area of the kidneys and lower back, pallor of the skin. In urine, blood clots can be present. Such symptoms require emergency medical care.
The nature of the change in urine depends on the causes of the onset. The first signs in the inflammatory process in the bladder or urethra are manifested by pain, cuts and burning.
If there is discomfort in the lower back, in the lower abdomen, on the left or on the right side of the abdomen, this is most likely a lesion of the kidney or ureter. Failures in urination and a decrease in the amount of secreted fluid may indicate a stone disease or tumor processes in the body.
Dark yellow urine
The color of urine allows us to judge the functioning of the whole organism, and especially about the state of the kidneys. Dark yellow urine, which persists for more than 1-2 days, indicates pathological processes. Its appearance may be associated with such diseases:
- Disturbances in the exchange of bile pigments.
- Dyspeptic processes in the intestine.
- Stagnant changes in the kidney and bladder.
- Dehydration of the body.
- Hemolytic anemia.
- Reception of antibiotics, laxatives or food additives.
- Eating foods rich in vitamins B and C.
- Tumor processes in the genitourinary system, kidneys or pelvic organs.
- Parasitic infestations.
In order to eliminate the dark yellow color, the cause of its appearance should be established. To do this, you need to seek medical help. The doctor will conduct laboratory diagnostics and, according to her results, prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Dark brown urine
One of the important indicators of human health is urine. By its color, they judge the general state of health and each organ separately. Dark brown urine alarms, but does not always indicate a pathology. The changes in the morning hours, when the liquid is concentrated due to the high content of urochrome, are not dangerous. But if the violation persists for several days, then it can talk about such problems as:
- Deficiency of fluid in the body.
- Reception of medicines.
- Increased sweating.
- The use of products with dyes, both artificial and natural.
- Inflammatory renal and hepatic pathology.
- Diseases of the genitourinary system.
- Prostatic disorders.
- Gynecological diseases.
Very often color disturbance is accompanied by additional symptoms. If there is dark brown urine, fever and pain when urinating, it is a sign of kidney disease. If the disorder is accompanied by disturbances of the stool and dyspepsia, it can be an intestinal pathology. Another dangerous combination is a dark brown liquid in combination with pain in the ovaries in women and difficulty urinating.
Any changes require attention. To determine the cause of the disorder, you need to seek help from a urologist or nephrologist. After a complex of diagnostic measures, the doctor will determine the causes of the pathological condition and suggest ways of treating it.
Dark urine with odor
The process of urination depends on the well-coordinated work of the kidneys, bladder and urethra. Normally, urine is odorless, it is clear or light yellow. Dark urine with a smell can indicate pathological processes in the body. If you have consumed certain products over the past 24 hours, for example, seafood, horseradish, garlic or asparagus, then the changes are natural. This can be observed with the use of medicines, herbal infusions or decoctions. In this case, it is not necessary to worry, because after the end of the course of taking the medicine, the color and smell are normalized.
But if your case does not apply to the above, then you should see a doctor. Because changes can indicate problems such as:
- Cystitis is an infectious disease that affects the bladder. Urine acquires a sharp ammonia smell and brown color. If non-infectious cystitis is diagnosed, then the liquid looks like a chemical by smell. Against this background there are pains during urination and in the lower abdomen.
- Urethritis - this pathology changes both the smell and color of the fluid. It may contain impurities of blood. Urination is painful and difficult.
- Venereal diseases - almost all diseases from this group have a common symptom. This is a urine with a fishy smell. This condition requires treatment, so you need to contact the venereologist.
- Inflammation of the kidneys - because of the infectious process in the kidneys, there are severe pain in the waist, changes in secretion of fluid and deterioration of overall health. Without timely treatment, the inflammatory process can lead to serious complications. This is also observed with renal failure, only in this case urine becomes very dark, and by smell resembles beer.
- Diabetes mellitus - due to the high sugar content, urine has a sweetish smell and muddy. With the progression of the disease, the liquid begins to smell like acetone.
- Unbalanced diet and starvation - due to a shortage of useful microorganisms, the body begins to work poorly. Kidneys are susceptible to acidosis, which causes urine to acquire an ammonia flavor.
- Dehydration - the imbalance of fluid in the body has a negative effect on overall well-being. It affects the color, and the smell of urine, it becomes dark with the smell of ammonia.
If the changes persist for several days or appear for no apparent reason, then you should seek medical help.
Dark Orange Urine
As a rule, dark orange urine signals about pathological processes in the body. But in some cases, such changes are considered normal. Consider the main factors contributing to the appearance of urine dark orange color:
The consumption in large quantities of foods rich in vitamin A, B or C leads to the appearance of a saturated orange color. Such products include: citrus, dogrose, pumpkin, asparagus, persimmons, carrots, sorrel, spinach, black currant, raspberries, sea buckthorn. Changes are associated with the physiological characteristics of the body, so do not pose a health hazard.
Prolonged use of certain medications can cause disorders of the urinary system. This is due to the fact that many medications are excreted from the body through the kidneys, so urine contains their active components or metabolites that stain it. Most often, this is observed with the use of laxative phenolphthalein, analgesic Uropyrin, antibiotic Rifampicin.
If the dark orange color of the secreted liquid is not associated with food or drugs, then this can be a signal of such pathologies: dehydration, pyelonephritis, glomerulonephritis, urolithiasis, toxicosis in pregnant women.
When a dark orange urine is detected, it is necessary to determine the causes of its appearance. If the disorder is accompanied by various painful symptoms, then this is an occasion to immediately consult a doctor. More often patients face pains in the field of a loin and a dyscomfort at an emiction, probably rise in temperature of a body and arterial pressure, occurrence of edemas and another. The doctor will appoint a set of diagnostic measures that will help to establish the cause of the violations, and will select the appropriate treatment.
Dark red urine
The appearance of such a symptom as dark red urine, can be caused by both natural and pathological causes. In the first case, it is the use of products with coloring substances, for example, beets, cranberries, citrus fruits. This is also the case with the use of drugs based on bearberry for the treatment of urinary infections, poisoning with phenol-containing drugs, the use of sulfonamides. The color of urine is restored after stopping the use of drugs or products with dyes.
The liquid released by the body acquires a dark red color and in pathological processes. Violation may be due to the ingress of blood or any of its elements into it. The presence of red blood cells indicates such problems as:
- Glomerulonephritis is a disease of the kidneys with a violation of the permeability of their blood vessels. It is characterized by a deterioration in the process of glomerular filtration, because of which the red blood cells fall into the urine, and not into the bloodstream. This pathology can arise as a separate disease, and as a complication of other processes.
- Urolithiasis - all concrements that form in the urinary tract, constantly change their localization. Uneven surface of the stones injures the mucosa of the urinary tract. This leads to the appearance of dark red urine.
- Hemoglobinuria - occurs when the pathologically rapid destruction of erythrocytes, when excess hemoglobin falls into urine.
- Cancer of the bladder.
- Blood clotting disorders.
- Injury in the lumbar region - any lesions that affect the kidneys or nearby vessels can cause the organ to stop filtering the incoming blood, and it will enter urine.
- Diseases of the genitals - infectious and inflammatory processes very often cause complications in the form of damage to blood vessels and tissues. This leads to the appearance of a turbid urine with bloody impurities.
In any case, if the red tinge of urine persists for an extended period of time, you should undergo a test and take all the necessary tests to determine the cause of the disease state.
Dark pink urine
Very often visual assessment of urine allows you to know about the state of the body. Dark pink urine can appear with the use of red beets, rhubarb, blackberry, black currant, cherries, carrots or products with artificial colors. Similar changes are observed when taking antibiotics and other medications.
There are also more serious causes of the appearance of urine of dark pink color. Consider the common diseases, which are characterized by violations:
- Pathologies of the urinary system
This can be various injuries and diseases of the urinary organs. Most often diagnosed with cystitis, glomerulonephritis, vasculitis, urolithiasis, various oncological diseases, pyelonephritis, traumatic damage of the bladder, kidneys or urethra.
Dark pink urine can indicate prostate cancer. With its growth, the tumor neoplasm damages the walls of blood vessels, the blood from which enters the urethra. This pathology is accompanied by a sharp loss of body weight, fever, intoxication and general exhaustion of the body.
- Diseases of female organs
The disorder occurs when taking hormonal contraceptives, because of an irregular menstrual cycle or with ovarian dysfunction. Long-term use of oral contraceptives causes stagnation of blood in the pelvic organs, a decrease in the tone of the vessels and the rupture of small vesicles. In some cases, early menstrual periods or dysfunctional bleeding may be regarded as blood in urine.
When pathological symptoms appear, you need to remember which foods or preparations you have consumed in the last 2-3 days. If the changes are not related to physiological causes, you should consult a doctor and determine the true cause of the disorder.
Dark urine with precipitate
In most cases, dark urine with sediment is associated with the intake of drugs or products that give the fluid such properties. In order to establish the true cause of turbidity, it is sufficient to pass urine to an analysis. Laboratory diagnostics will establish what triggered the violation.
Possible causes of turbidity:
- In combination with flakes, mucus, pus and an unpleasant odor, this indicates inflammatory processes of the urogenital system. Similar is observed with pyelonephritis, cystitis, urethritis.
- A light precipitate signals the initial stage of sand formation in the kidneys. These symptoms do not require special treatment, it is enough to take diuretics for cleansing the kidneys.
- Turbidity of the fluid in combination with a red tint indicates a trauma of the ureteral mucosa by stones. A bright red color is internal bleeding or kidney trauma by concrements.
If the turbidity occurred in the morning, this is due to the insufficient intake of fluid into the body. This is observed with increased work of sweat glands due to extreme heat, fatigue or after a steam bath. To eliminate the defect, it is enough to restore the drinking balance with the help of purified water or green tea.
Dark urine with sediment is observed when the adipose tissue disintegrates, which surrounds the kidney or with the congenital weakness of the lymphatic system. In some cases, such symptoms occur with a decrease in liver function, kidney disease, pancreatic disease. Turbidity can affect pregnant women. This is due to increased strain on the organs of the genitourinary system during gestation. Sometimes turbid urine occurs when slagging the body, infectious or venereal diseases.
Dark green urine
In a healthy person, urine has a light yellow color. Dark green urine occurs with certain physiological and pathological processes. The color of the secreted fluid depends on the pigments contained in it (urobilin, urochrome, bilirubin) and various impurities. Dark green color occurs in such cases:
- The use of coloring food.
- Application of medicines.
- A certain disease of the body.
Very often, after consuming asparagus, black licorice, green beer and other foods with food colorings of green color (lemonade, sweets, sauces), coloring of urine occurs. To restore the normal color of the liquid, it is sufficient to stop using the above products.
Such an unusual color may be an incidental symptom of some medicines, for example: Propofol, Indomethacin, Ripsapine, Amitriptyline. In addition, vitamin supplements and preparations containing blue dye, which is mixed with yellow urine, gives a dark green hue.
The appearance of a greenish shade can be caused by such diseases:
- Infectious lesions of the urinary tract - diseases of the kidneys, bladder, prostate, urethra. Active reproduction of infectious microorganisms forms pus yellow-green color, which penetrates into urine. This can all be accompanied by painful urination, cuts and burning in the urethra, general weakness, fever and low back pain.
- Parasitic infections - the activity of parasites causes changes in urine and feces. Very often it leads to serious diseases of the digestive system, which are accompanied by frequent diarrhea, vomiting, deterioration of general well-being.
- Diseases of the liver and gallbladder - cholecystitis, cholelithiasis and other diseases caused by poor performance of the gallbladder. The bile secreted by the body begins to accumulate, staining the liquid secreted by the body into a greenish color. This condition is accompanied by pain in the abdomen, weakness, vomiting, fever.
- Venereal diseases - for example, gonorrhea, which occurs in both men and women leads to changes in urine and is accompanied by painful symptoms.
Thus, if it is determined that the urine has acquired a dark green color due to the use of products or preparations, then it is not worth worrying. But if additional symptoms appear on the background of the changes, then you should consult a doctor.
The urine is dark as a beer
If your urine is dark, like beer, then this can indicate both natural and pathological reactions. This color often occurs with pyelonephritis, endometriosis, cystitis, urethritis, urolithiasis, autoimmune diseases. Also, we should not exclude diseases of an infectious nature and sexually transmitted diseases, lesions of the genital organs.
Natural causes include: the use of legumes, black tea, beef, drugs based on phenol or lysol, laxatives or B vitamins. The disorder may occur due to increased sweating, prolonged diarrhea or vomiting, toxicosis during pregnancy, as well as with febrile condition. If the unpleasant condition persists for several days or proceeds with additional symptoms, you should consult a doctor and take tests.
The urine is dark, like tea
A clear sign of dehydration is dark urine, like tea. This symptom can occur in such cases:
- Eating lots of legumes, rhubarb, aloe and other coloring urine products.
- Medicines: antimalarial, antibiotics, drugs for the treatment of urinary tract infections, laxatives with hay, cascara and metoclopramide.
- Medical diseases - it can be a violation of liver function, hepatitis, cirrhosis, glomerulonephritis or a rare genetic pathology tyrosinemia.
Also do not forget about injuries of the pelvic organs, violations due to increased physical exertion and a number of other factors.
A little urine of dark color
Many parents often face such a problem as little urine of a dark color in a child. A small volume of secreted fluid in most cases is associated with the gradual development of the child's body, its organs and systems, including the urinary. As for the darkening of urine, this factor can be associated with various causes, consider the most common:
- The use of medicines (antibacterial, antimicrobial), which stain urine. After stopping the course of treatment, the color is restored. Changes are observed with the use of vitamins of group B and C.
- Long stay in the sun on hot days, active games that promote increased sweating and inadequate water intake during the day.
- Eating natural products that color urine (beet, rhubarb, blueberry) and products with artificial coloring substances.
A little urine of dark color can be in the morning. During the day, the color and amount of fluid are normalized. If the violation persists for several days, it is worthwhile to see a doctor. Since the disorder can be associated with serious diseases (hemolytic anemia, cholelithiasis or urolithiasis, viral hepatitis, toxic damage to liver cells, glomerulonephritis, congenital pathologies).
Dark with foam urine
Appearance, consistency and shade of urine allow you to judge the state of the body. Dark urine with foam does not always indicate pathological processes and can be a harmless symptom. If the foam appeared once, you should observe your own state of health and, if necessary, seek medical help.
Consider the main causes of turbidity of the secreted fluid and the appearance of foam in it:
- A rapid urination process can cause foam. This is observed in people who have long restrained urination.
- Foamy urine is the norm in infants, as their excretory system only begins to function. This symptom is also observed during pregnancy.
- If the foam appears a couple of times a day, then most likely it is proteinuria. It arises because of the increased protein content, which is typical for diabetes, heart pathologies, various infectious processes.
- With inflammation of the urogenital system, urine acquires the color of beer and begins to foam strongly. In addition, there is an additional symptomatology in the form of increased weakness, stool, nausea, hyperthermia, cuts and burning.
- Gallstone disease - due to blockage of the bile ducts, bile is thrown into the blood, causing cholomics. Under the influence of bilirubin and acids, foam appears.
- In women, this may be due to premenstrual syndrome, but in men with retrograde ejaculation, when the seminal fluid enters urine.
- Oncological processes are often accompanied by foaming and darkening of urine. This is due to the presence in the blood of specific protein-paraproteins.
Foam and darkening of urine occur with an unbalanced diet, when the diet is dominated by protein products. This is also possible with excessive physical exertion.
Dark amber color of urine
As a rule, a slight darkening of urine indicates a deficiency of fluid in the body. But dark amber color of urine can arise and because of the use of products, which contain coloring substances. Very often, this is observed with the use of drugs or after physical exertion.
If the changes are accompanied by additional painful symptoms, then you should immediately seek medical help. But in most cases, the color of the urine is normalized after resting and drinking abundantly.
Dark urine in women
This symptom, like dark urine in women, can occur for the following reasons:
- Deficiency of fluid in the body.
- Urinary tract infections.
- Jaundice or vasculitis.
- Elevated levels of bilirubin.
- Hemolytic anemia.
- Food products with colorants.
- Dietary factors.
- Injuries of the pelvic organs.
- Oncological diseases of the pancreas and liver.
As a rule, the darkening of the secreted fluid is associated with inflammatory processes. Such pathologies negatively affect the circulatory process, because of which red blood cells penetrate into the tissues of the body. If pain, rubbing or burning occurs during urination, and there are blood impurities in the urine, this may indicate cystitis or endometriosis of the bladder.
Similar changes are often observed in pregnant women. This is due to hormonal changes and microscopic trauma to the uterus because of its growth. Also, do not exclude urolithiasis, cysts, pyelonephritis, kidney or liver cancers, small cell anemia. Some hormonal contraceptives contribute to a change in the color of urine. To establish the exact cause of the disorder, a general and biochemical laboratory study of urine and blood is shown.
Dark urine during pregnancy
During the period of gestation of a child, the female organism faces increased loads. Dark urine during pregnancy can occur due to hormonal changes that occur in the mother's body or have a pathological character. Such a violation is observed with the use of foods and beverages with colorants, vitamins, medicines, as well as dehydration of the body. If the above factors are excluded, and the color of urine is kept dark and supplemented with painful symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor. The doctor will prescribe tests that will help determine the true cause of the unpleasant condition and prevent possible complications of pregnancy.
Dark urine after delivery
There are a number of physiological and pathological factors that provoke dark urine after childbirth. Violation may be due to birth trauma, especially if there is blood in urine. Also, do not exclude various infectious diseases.
If a woman takes medications, then this is another possible reason for the changes. The urine changes under the influence of some antibacterial agents, vitamin complexes. Staining occurs when certain products are used. This is observed with kidney, liver, urogenital system and other pathologies. To diagnose a painful condition, you should consult a doctor and take a set of laboratory tests.
Dark urine in men
Changes in the color of urine is an indicator of the state of the organism. Dark urine in men can indicate both a pathology in the work of internal organs, and appear for quite innocuous reasons. More often, color disorders are associated with factors such as:
- Dehydration of the body.
- The use of products with natural or chemical dyes.
- Admission of certain groups of drugs.
Dark urine in men arises also because of the presence of red blood cells, bilirubin, mucus or pus in it. Changes in fluid outflow may indicate such problems:
- Diseases of the liver and gallbladder.
- Kidney diseases.
- Pathology in the work of the bladder.
- Injuries of the pubic region.
- Infection of the urethra.
In this case, the color of urine can vary from dark yellow to black. If such changes are accompanied by painful symptoms, then you should consult a therapist or urologist for testing and treatment.
Dark urine in the child
Many mothers, noticing the dark urine in the child begin to worry greatly. But do not worry beforehand, since such changes can occur for quite natural reasons. An increased concentration of urine is observed in the morning, when eating foods or drinks with dyes, when using medicines or vitamin complexes, or because of a deficiency of fluid in the body. But if there is an additional painful symptomatology on the background of a micturition, then you should immediately consult a doctor. Since dark urine in a child can indicate a serious intoxication of the body, liver, kidney or urinary tract diseases.
Dark urine of the newborn
The color of urine in the baby can vary from transparent to light yellow. The dark urine of the newborn is due to the small volume of water consumed. Because of this, the liquid becomes concentrated and gets a darker shade. In some cases, this symptom indicates a high content of salts.
If the dark color persists for a long period of time, then it can talk about liver or kidney disease. If there are problems in the bile excretory system, then laboratory tests will show high bilirubin levels. Also, do not exclude acute intestinal infections, especially if there is an additional painful symptomatology.
The changed color of urine in a baby may indicate such diseases:
- Dark yellow - increased content of bile pigments, infectious liver damage.
- Orange - dehydration, high content of oxalate salts, diarrhea and vomiting, high fever.
- Dark red is a high content of red blood cells, which can indicate a pathology of the kidneys or urinary tract.
- Dark green is a mechanical jaundice of a newborn.
In addition to color, it is necessary to pay attention to the smell of the liquid. Urine children have a faint smell without side contaminants. If the fragrance of rotten apples appears, this indicates an increase in acetone, which may be due to the development of diabetes. The smell of ammonia appears in the inflammatory process. This happens with cystitis, when bacteria decompose urine in the bladder.
Changes in the secretion of fluids are observed during the feeding of the baby, when the child is introduced into the diet vegetable products (beets, carrots, broccoli). In this case, the staining is natural and should not cause concern.
Noticing the baby's violation of normal color, transparency or smell of urine, you should slowly turn to the pediatrician. Since the presence of abnormalities can lead to intoxication, febrile state, cystitis, pyelonephritis, ulcerative colitis and other equally dangerous for newborn diseases.
Dark urine in the elderly person
Various disorders of the urinary system in adulthood is not uncommon. Dark urine in an elderly person may indicate microbial processes, impaired bladder function or worsening of urine outflow. Also, tumor neoplasms should not be excluded. In men, this is a lesion of the prostate and urethra. If darkening is accompanied by painful sensations in the iliac region, this indicates embolism of the renal arteries.
Such disorders are observed in various forms of diabetes, chronic kidney and liver diseases. The presence of concrements in the kidney or bladder contributes to the violation of the color of urine. In older women, changes are most often associated with inflammatory processes due to infections of the kidneys or genitals. The disorder may be due to the use of medications, food or insufficient fluid intake.