The main way to treat sarcopenia is to increase physical activity. Topical are aerobic exercises that benefit the cardiovascular system and respiratory organs, and also positively affect the percentage of fat and muscle tissue. The force variants of the loads significantly influence not only the state of the muscles, but also the health of the bone system, preventing the development of sarcopenia and osteoporosis. The course of exercises usually lasts up to 10-12 weeks, half an hour once every two to three days. In terms of its effectiveness, the physical load is superior to other types of treatment - for example, hormone replacement therapy,
The second no less important way to resist sarcopenia is diet. In the diet should be added more protein food, so that its daily amount is not less than 1.2-1.5 g per kg.
Scientists have confirmed the fact that in the treatment of sarcopenia, vitamin D deficiency must necessarily be filled. Vitamin can be prescribed in the form of complex preparations, as well as in monopreparations - but necessarily in combination with calcium.
The use of vitamin D in sarcopenia is based on the fact that its deficiency is present in all forms of the disease. Patients with sarcopenia are prescribed vitamins in large doses, several times exceeding prophylactic.
At the moment, pharmacists have developed a large number of various medications on the basis of vitamin D. These are Tachysteen, Alfa D 3 -Teva, Vigantol, Oxidevit, Rockaltrol and others.
- Vigantol is used in an amount of up to 5 drops three times a day, with a liquid;
- Alpha D 3 -Tev take 0.5-1 μg daily in the mornings;
- Rockaltrol is taken at 0.25 μg twice a day;
- Osteogenon take 1-2 tablets a day, and in neglected cases - 2-4 tablets twice a day.
Treatment with drugs should be combined with the intake of calcium salts. The duration of therapy is determined individually. To prevent the development of side effects, the above should be administered under the control of the quality of blood clotting and kidney function.
The effect of testosterone in the blood on the quality of muscular strength and functionality has been experimentally confirmed. The drop in the number of estrogens in age-old female patients has about the same effect. Thus, both estrogen and testosterone inhibit the synthesis of pro-inflammatory cytokines, which catabolically affect the quality of muscle fibers.
Nevertheless, the use of drugs based on testosterone and estrogens did not have the expected positive effect on the course of sarcopenia. For example, some patients did have some positive dynamics, but many patients did not help such treatment. And, in addition, testosterone therapy increases the risk of prostate cancer in men.
Interesting information was obtained when trying to use growth hormone in sarcopenia. Growth hormone has an indirect anabolic effect on muscles, stimulating the production of insulin-like growth factor by the liver, the level of which decreases with age. The use of such treatment allowed to increase muscular strength, however, the condition of muscle mass and its functionality did not affect therapy in any way.
In the future, it is proposed to use for the treatment of sarcopenia such drugs as myostatin inhibitors and selective androgen receptor modulators.
Currently, scientists continue to search for effective drugs for the treatment of sarcopenia. Now pharmacological tests of fundamentally new drugs are being actively carried out, which already demonstrate excellent results in animals.
When sarcopenia, physiotherapy is performed along with exercise therapy and massage of the extremities.
- Myostimulation is the transfer of nerve impulses to the muscle fibers, which allows you to create protection and raise the tone of the muscular apparatus. At the initial stages of development of sarcopenia, myostimulation strengthens the muscles of patients who are unable to perform even minor physical exertion (for example, in strict bed rest). The action of electrical impulses leads to a reduction in muscle fibers, which contributes to increased local circulation, improves metabolism and restorative processes in tissues.
- Magnetic resonance therapy involves signaling to damaged cells, which leads to the activation of restorative processes.
- Ozone therapy has a general strengthening effect, improves tissue nutrition and capillary circulation, stimulates immune defense. With sarcopenia, ozonotherapy helps to anesthetize and prevent inflammation.
With stiffness and lack of mobility, pain in joints, injection of an ozone-oxygen mixture can additionally be used. This treatment gives a lasting effect, restoring the joints and cartilage.
Treatment of sarcopenia with the help of alternative means can be considered effective if it is carried out simultaneously with conventional therapy. Positive effect on the condition of muscle tissue renders linseal. Since this plant is considered poisonous, it is important to adhere to the rules of preparation and dosage of the drug:
- 200 ml of boiling water pour 1 tsp. Dry grass;
- insist for 60 minutes, filtered;
- take 3-4 times a day before meals for 1 tbsp. L .;
- the duration of treatment is three weeks.
Another, no less effective means is a recipe: 500 ml of boiling water is poured into the thermos, 3 tbsp are covered. L. Field horsetail, leave for the night. In the morning, the infusion is filtered and taken three times a day for a third of the glass, half an hour before meals. Duration of treatment is 14 days, after which it should be a break for 10 days.
To maintain normal muscle functionality, it is recommended to take ascorbic acid in sufficient quantities. It is useful to prepare compotes and fruit drinks from berries, which are rich in this vitamin - it is dogrose, currant, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry. It is also recommended to eat kiwi, citrus, cabbage, radish, onion and garlic.
As an aid to sarcopenia, you can use herbal treatment:
- Prepare an equal mixture of elder flowers, birch leaves, willow bark. One tablespoon of the mixture is brewed in 400 ml of boiling water, drink half the glass 4 times a day before meals.
- Prepare an equivalent mixture of elderberry blossoms, nettle leaves, rhizomes of parsley. One tablespoon of the mixture pour 400 ml of boiling water, insist under the lid. Take 100 ml 4 times a day before meals.
- Prepare a mixture of leaves of birch, nettle leaves, violet grass, boil (1 tablespoon per 500 ml of water). Infusion take 100 ml from 4 to 6 times a day before meals.
Daily it is recommended to drink tea from currant leaves, cranberries - at least 2 glasses a day, half an hour before meals.
Homeopathic treatment of sarcopenia is considered possible, but the goal pursued by this treatment is equated with a slowing of the age-related changes in the muscles in the body. Reception of homeopathic preparations should be started as soon as possible. Medicines of choice are Calcium carbonicum, Gepar sulfuris, Silicea, Phosphorus, fluoride salts, as well as Lachezis, Pulsatilla and Sepia (affects the endocrine glands), Sulfuris (affects the quality of cartilage).
If there are bone injuries, Sulfuris treatment is added as a result of falls and bumps. With right-sided damage will help Ledum, Bryonia, Manganum muriatikum, Nikcolum, Osmium, Tellurium. For left-sided damage, Lachezis or Lithium carbonum are prescribed.
Dosages of these drugs are strictly individual and are prescribed by a doctor homeopath.
Operative treatment for sarcopenia is usually not applied. Operation can become necessary only in case of complex fractures and dislocations, development of tumors or cysts.