What does a radiologist do?
Radiologist is, in a way, a diagnostic expert in the field of using the X-ray examination technique with subsequent interpretation of the results of the images. Representatives of this profession work in medical institutions of inpatient and outpatient types, in diagnostic structures (radiology rooms).
A qualified roentgenologist diagnoses diseases with the help of X-ray equipment. In this case, possible diseases of the lungs, bone system, spine, teeth, etc. Are investigated.
Possessing extensive knowledge in the field of radiation physics, the specialist constantly improves his qualification by studying radiation diagnostic methods, deciphering and evaluating the results obtained after the research. Complex devices with which radiologists work, require colossal knowledge and experience in handling equipment, as well as good visual memory, the ability to focus on small things, patience and perseverance.
The profession of a radiologist is impossible without full medical education and serious practice: such specialists are trained at the Department of Radiology and Radiation Diagnostic Methods in higher medical schools.
What diseases does the radiologist treat?
The radiologist does not heal, but recognizes the diseases of many human systems and organs according to the results of an x-ray examination.
X-ray method of diagnosis is divided into several types:
- general method (description of techniques and techniques);
- private method (X-ray pathology of direct organs and systems: bones, joints, heart, pulmonary system, digestive tract, etc.);
- a specialized method (the use of X-rays in occupational pathologies, in gastroenterology, phthisiology).
X-ray method of diagnosis is used for the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- pathology of teeth and jaws, joints and bone system;
- examination of bones of complex configuration (these include examination of the cranium, spine, hip joint);
- Diagnosis of the pathology of the bile excretory, genital and urinary system by methods of contrast medium administration;
- research of bronchi and lungs (detection of tumors, tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, pathology of bronchial patency, foreign bodies in the respiratory system;
- X-ray of the heart and circulatory system;
- X-ray pathology of the digestive tract with the help of contrast agents, the definition of tumor processes, peptic ulcer disease, mucosal embossment disorders.
The doctor conducts a study, describes the result of the image, compares the picture of the examination with clinical symptoms and formulates the final diagnosis.