What does a perinatal gynecologist do?
The main task of a perinatal gynecologist is to observe a pregnant woman. In the period of bearing the baby, the doctor must conduct a mass of diagnostic studies in order to track possible pathologies of the newborn. If we talk about the research carried out by a perinatal gynecologist, it is ultrasound, genetic and biochemical methods for detecting congenital pathologies in the early stages of pregnancy. When identifying irreversible pathologies, the doctor prescribes treatment or indications to terminate the pregnancy.
For the gynecologist-perinatologist the intranatal or patrimonial period is very important. Since it is during this period, the doctor diagnoses and controls the mother's condition, the process of labor and the state of the newborn. Thanks to improved therapeutic and diagnostic technologies, a perinatal gynecologist has more opportunities to contribute to the birth of a healthy baby and a successful birth process. The gynecologist-perinatologist is engaged in developing methods of intensive care for newborns, as well as methods that in practice allow saving babies with asphyxia, small weight, intracranial injuries and children who were born prematurely.
What diseases are treated by a perinatal gynecologist?
The main task of a perinatal gynecologist is the observation of a pregnant woman. If we talk about the diseases that the perinatologist treats, they are all related to pregnancy, diseases that can occur during pregnancy and complications during childbirth. Let's take a closer look at the diseases the gynecologist-perinatologist treats.
- Herpes in pregnant women.
- Arterial hypertension.
- Diseases of the kidneys, thyroid, liver.
- Congenital malformations and pathologies.
- Severe toxicosis and vomiting.
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Various postpartum infections.
- Infectious diseases and lesions.
- Myasthenia gravis and Rh incompatibility.
- Detachment and placenta previa.
- Premature birth and delayed pregnancy.
- Early rupture of amniotic membranes.
- Possibility of surgeries during pregnancy.
- Diabetes mellitus, lupus erythematosus and heart failure during pregnancy.
- Rheumatic heart disease, preeclampsia and eclampsia.
- Complications due to unhealthy lifestyle and drug use during pregnancy.
- Rheumatoid arthritis and congenital rubella.
- Insufficient mineral valve or prolapse.
- Trophoblastic disease.
Let's look at the diseases that the gynecologist-perinatologist treats and who often meet in the practice of a specialist.
Birth trauma - damage to the peripheral and central nervous system. In the category of birth injuries are hemorrhages in the spinal cord and its membrane, spinal cord injuries, increased vascular permeability or vascular system tearing, rupture of the spinal cord, both complete and partial. Also, birth defects of bones and joints, soft tissues, hemorrhages in the sternum, abrasions and hemorrhages under the periosteum. Injuries to the abdominal organs are also related to birth trauma. As a rule, the spleen, liver and adrenals are most disturbed.
Asphyxia of newborns is a pathology in which a newborn is breathing and as a result of this the baby has received oxygen deficiency. Asphyxia is primary, which is received at birth and secondary, that is, suffocation in the first days and hours of life.
This is a list of the main diseases that are treated by a perinatal gynecologist. All the work of the perinatologist is aimed at ensuring that the pregnancy proceeds as best as possible, and nothing is threatening the health of both mother and future baby.