What does the dentist do?
To modern stomatology the following directions concern:
- dental therapy. This treatment of tooth decay, tooth canals, sealing and the buildup of tooth enamel;
- periodontics. This therapy of inflammatory processes in the gums surrounding and adjacent to the tooth: includes the treatment of gingivitis, stomatitis, periodontitis, periodontitis, etc .;
- surgery. Includes surgical methods of treatment: extraction of teeth or cystic tooth formation, curettage of cavities, opening of purulent foci;
- dental orthopedics. He is engaged in prosthetics;
- orthodontics. It is aimed at correction of bite defects;
- children's dentistry. Provides work with children.
The doctor of the dental department is obliged to perfectly understand the anatomical and physiological characteristics of the human body, to have knowledge of the structure of the maxillofacial system, the oral cavity, to be competent in dental materials, medicines, appropriate instruments and equipment.
What diseases does the dentist treat?
General dentists carry out caries therapy, pathologies of dental canals at different stages of tissue damage.
Specialists can cure the inflammation of the mucous membranes and tissues of the mouth and gums. The often occurring periodontal disease that occurs as a result of infection in the interdental space is also within the competence of the dentist. This disease - parodontosis, is characterized by pain and unpleasant odor from the oral cavity; if you do not treat this disease, then soon you can lose the affected teeth.
The goal of the specialist is to destroy the foci of infection and keep the health of teeth and gums. However, sometimes, when the usual treatment is no longer effective, you have to remove the tooth. This is also involved in the dentist, in addition, he also removes cysts and purulent foci in the tissues of the oral cavity.
If the affected tooth is no longer subject to recovery, a dental prosthetist comes to the rescue. He makes measurements, adjusts and fixes the prosthesis. His work - crowns, bridges, implants and removable prosthetics.
Correction of the bite defect is performed by selecting a bracket system or a cap.
The dentist also monitors the development of the pediatric maxillofacial system, treats dairy and permanent teeth, monitors the formation of the right bite.