Treatment of cracks in the nipples during feeding
Cracks in the nipples - not an occasion to complete breastfeeding and to teach the child to the milk formula. This will necessarily lead to the cessation of milk production and the complete abandonment of the baby from the breast.
If the nipple cracks deliver only minor discomfort, then you can continue to breastfeed your baby, while using preventive silicone or latex pads. Such devices can be purchased in pharmacies - they are produced by almost all well-known companies specializing in the production of breast pumps and other accessories for young mothers. These are brands such as Avent, Medela, Chikko, Conpol, etc. The lining is selected individually, taking into account the breast size and the size of the nipple.
In the presence of a large number of deep bleeding cracks, the patches are unlikely to help. In this case, milk must be hand-tied and fed to the baby, while healing the damaged skin on the nipples.
If the measures were not taken on time, and mastitis arose, then it should be borne in mind that bacteria can pass to the child. In this case, breastfeeding is stopped.
What can not be done categorically:
- wash the nipples with soap and other alkaline solutions;
- To put on nipples preparations with antibiotics, and also to take antibiotics inside;
- to treat the breast with alcohol solutions, including iodine or diamond green;
- use breast pads for a long time, wear tight bras.
Cracks are best healed if the chest is open and there is air access to the damaged nipples. Therefore, it is necessary at the time to abandon the closed linen, and the pads for the breast should be used as rarely as possible, or not used at all.
The most popular ointments and creams from cracks in the nipples when feeding:
Means containing dexpanthenol - a curative component that represents vitamins of group B:
- Bepanten (cream, ointment) 5% applied once or several times a day;
- Dexpanthenol - use under a bandage or a compress;
- Panthenol - applied several times a day, after feeding;
- Korneregel - used after feeding, and before putting the baby washed.
Preparations containing zinc oxide - an antiseptic substance with an inherent and tannic action:
- Zinc ointment - applied three times a day, before feeding is removed;
- Zinc paste - is used by analogy with zinc ointment;
- Tsindol - use 4-6 times a day on dry skin. Requires flushing;
- Desitin - lubricate the nipples three times a day, washing off before feeding;
- Sudokrem - used several times a day, removing before applying the baby.
External products with the content of lanolin - animal lipid, providing skin protection:
- Purelan - grease nipples as needed;
- Sanosan - can be used after each feeding;
- Lanolin - apply several times a day;
- Multimam - lubricate the nipples until complete recovery;
- Karelan - use from 3 times a day;
- Lanovit with sea buckthorn oil is a safe preparation, it can be used without restrictions.
Medications containing retinol (Vitamin A), which effectively restores damaged skin:
- Videstim - applied twice a day;
- Retinoic ointment - used throughout the day;
- Radevit - applied twice a day, you can under the bandage;
- Retinol acetate - lubricate the skin as needed.
Herbal and mineral ointments:
- Vulnuzan - lubricate the nipples with a thick layer several times a day;
- "9 months" (Mustela) - use from 2 times a day until complete cure.
- Solcoseryl - smeared affected juices three times a day;
- Actovegin - applied under the compress three times a day.
Other means of cracks on the nipples during feeding:
- Sea buckthorn oil is a natural remedy, harmless and effective. Softens the skin and promotes rapid healing. Does not require flushing. •
- Hips oil - removes signs of inflammation (thanks to the content of vitamin C). It is applied immediately after feeding. It is not necessary to wash off. •
- Oily solution of vitamin E - restores and heals the area of the nipple. •
- Chlorophyllipt (oil-based) - a wonderful antiseptic, eliminates the symptoms of the inflammatory process. It is necessary to wash off before feeding. •
- Calendula ointment - tightens cracks, destroys bacteria. Before feeding it is necessary to wash off.
Alternative treatment of nipple cracks
Often a good effect is provided by herbal and other alternative treatments. Such recipes are passed on from generation to generation, from one mother to another. When there is no possibility to go to the pharmacy, the following resources can come to the rescue:
- Cast off nipples with castor oil. After each application, hold the breast open for at least 10 minutes.
- Apply to the nipple region melted butter, for 2-3 days.
- Lubricate the perennial zone with greenery, then apply a layer of Vaseline, several times within 3 days.
- Apply a compress of grated apple on a fine grater, 2-3 times a day. You can make a mixture of grated apple and butter, or carrot juice.
- Apply on the chest gruel from welded seeds of flax.
- Lubricate the nipples with fresh aloe juice or colancho. Before feeding, the juice should be thoroughly rinsed.
- Apply to the nipple area fresh natural honey, which should be washed off after half an hour with warm water.
- Apply to the damaged skin a cabbage leaf, slightly beaten with a hammer (to let the juice). This tool is recommended for use at night.
Homeopathy with nipple cracks
Many patients trust such a popular treatment method today as homeopathy. To treat cracks in the nipples, there are also certain homeopathic preparations, both for oral administration and for external use.
Homeopathic remedies for internal use:
- Graphite 3C and Arnica 3C - 5 granules sublingually, 20 minutes before feeding;
- Acidum Nitrikum 6C - with severe pain;
- Ratification 3C - with itching cracks;
- Croton tiglyum 3C - with severe shingles;
- Sulfur - with deep skin lesions, with the release of blood;
- Petroleum - at cracks with crusts and bloom.
Local homeopathic remedies:
- Arnika - 5 drops are diluted in 200 ml of drinking water and moisten the nipples after each feeding;
- Camomile (Hamomilla) - is used by analogy with Arnica.
In neglected cases, washing nipples with tincture Borax can help: 5 drops per 200 ml of water are used.