What methods of diagnostics does the midwife use?
The midwife's task is to collect an anamnesis of pregnancy:
- family illnesses (alcoholism, mental disorders, etc.);
- transferred diseases of the most pregnant during life, especially infectious or rickets;
- characteristics of the monthly cycle;
- information on previous pregnancies / births, if any, as well as abortions, miscarriages, bleeding, surgical interventions, etc .;
- state of health of a woman's spouse.
Primary examination consists in determining the type of physique, the nature of nutrition, the condition of the skin, attention is drawn to the shape of the abdomen and lumbosacral rhombus. The obstetrician records the weight, height, external values of the pelvis, abdominal circumference, uterine characteristics, fetal position.
In the second part of pregnancy, the number of baby's heartbeats is fixed, strokes from the nose and throat are taken for the presence of staphylococci. The midwife monitors the pressure of the future mother.
In addition to external signs and laboratory studies, what methods of diagnosis does the midwife use? The main assistant in monitoring the course of pregnancy and establishing the sex of the child is ultrasound. Ultrasound diagnosis is indispensable in cases of determining the timing of pregnancy, if a woman has a menstrual irregularity.
For various complications (for example, the threat of miscarriage), the detection of serious illnesses (heart, liver, kidneys, etc.), the wrong position of the fetus, the midwife immediately directs the midwife to the doctor.