Genetics tips that can help you give birth to a healthy baby are fairly simple.
If a woman is pregnant after 35 years, she is given a genetic counseling.
Close-to-marriages are not recommended. With a high degree of kinship between the father and the mother of the child, he can be born with deviations. If you still want to make a closely related marriage, visit the genetics in advance.
The last word always remains with the parents, the geneticist only informs the spouses about the possible pathology.
The most common genetic diseases, the prevention of which deals with a geneticist.
- Alcaptonuria is a congenital deficiency of the enzyme homotenzinase. Symptoms of the disease: staining the urine in black, gradually colored cheeks and sclera. It is recommended dietotherapy, excluding meat and eggs.
- Histidynemia is a deficiency of the enzyme histidase. As a result, metabolic products are toxic to the nervous system. This affects the child's mental development. He lags behind in growth and suffers from increased nervous excitability. The disease occurs in one of 20,000 children. Such patients can be helped by appointing a special diet with an emphasis on fats and carbohydrates.
- Polycystic kidney disease is a disease that affects more than 12 million people worldwide. It is characterized by the formation of multiple cysts in the kidneys. They are formed even in the womb, and in adulthood can affect the kidney in such a way that they completely stop their work. Symptoms of the disease: abdominal pain, urinary tract infection, kidney failure. There is no specific treatment, kidney transplants may be required.
- Marfan's disease is a disease that affects the connective tissue. Characterized by thin thin fingers and heart defects. The disease can affect the functioning of the lungs and the musculoskeletal system. Patients are often disproportionate to limbs, scoliosis, irregular bite, visual impairment and glaucoma, heart rhythm disturbances.
- Hemophilia is a hereditary disorder of blood coagulability. The disease is of two types: due to a violation of the factor of coagulability of blood VIII and a violation of coagulability by factor IX. The average prevalence is 1: 30000.
- Symptoms of hemophilia: prolonged bleeding in the joints and muscles.
- Treatment is carried out with the help of special replacement therapy.
- Down Syndrome - occurs when a child gets from the mother or father an extra 21 chromosome when forming a zygote.
Patients have a characteristic appearance: a flat face with slanted eyes, a wide tongue, a round head, with small ears. Hair is very soft, straight. The brushes are wide, the little finger is shortened.
With the parents of these children, special work is carried out. Down's syndrome is not treated, but people with it can be adapted to society. More and more children with this vice remain in families.
Modern genetics has reached such a high level of development that it can be argued that a qualified geneticist is your assistant in the birth of healthy and beautiful children. Of course, whether your hereditary diseases will manifest in your children depends largely on your attitude to yourself and your health. Hereditary predisposition is not a verdict. Most diseases are multifactorial. You can help the baby to be born healthy, if you exclude the influence of harmful factors before it appears.
A geneticist can help prevent many serious illnesses in your children. Genetic counseling does not negate the fact that the last word on whether to give this child a life will be yours.
A geneticist can also help you if you want to know about the risk of developing oncological diseases, atherosclerosis, stroke and diabetes. The world was shocked by the case when actress Angelina Jolie, learning about the high risk of developing breast cancer due to her mother's illness, decided to mastectomy. We do not urge you to take extreme measures. But perhaps a geneticist, telling you about the predisposition to cancer, will prompt you to take care of yourself more carefully.