Consequences after a gadfly bite

, medical expert
Last reviewed: 15.08.2019

All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses ([1], [2], etc.) are clickable links to these studies.

If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.

Among the most adverse and dangerous complications and consequences that develop after the bite of a gadfly are inflammation, edema, and an allergic reaction. The most dangerous condition is angioedema, anaphylactic shock, asthma attack, exacerbation of bronchial asthma. Also, the danger lies in the fact that a bacterial complication can develop, a festering when an infection is introduced into the body. When eggs, larvae enter, a parasitic disease develops.

How much is a gadfly bite?

It is impossible to answer exactly how long the gadfly bite will take, because the reaction that develops at the same time is determined by the individual characteristics of the organism. It also depends on genetic factors, on the state of the immune system, on the level of sensitization of the organism, and even on the current state of the organism, for example, on what diseases a person has experienced, how long he took various medications.

In general, if the body is in a “normal” state, in an average person, the bite disappears in 3-5 days. If a person has recently had a disease, or his immune system is too tense, there is a tendency to allergic reactions, the bite may not pass even for several months. How long it will take for the doctor to tell about the treatment, but for this he will need the results of laboratory tests.

Gadfly Bite Allergy

If a person has a history of allergies, hypersensitivity, asthma, an allergic reaction inevitably develops in response to a gadfly bite. The degree of its expression is determined by many factors. First of all, this is the type of reaction. So, if a person has a tendency to develop hGH NT (immediate type reactions), the [1] most severe and life-threatening conditions develop - Quincke edema, which suffers sharply asphyxiation, anaphylactic shock, which causes a critical drop in pressure and body temperature, asphyxiation. A person may fall into a coma, or even die.

More favorable is a delayed-type allergy. In this case, in response to the bite of the gadfly, mainly local reaction develops, which manifests itself in the form of edema, redness, itching. In this case, it is enough to take an antihistamine (suprastin, diazolin, loratodin, loran, etc.). Locally, the bite is treated with ointments, gels. Alternative means are also used.

An immediate response is required for a reaction. If anaphylactic shock occurs, intravenous infusions of calcium chloride are prescribed (10 ml of 10% solution). It is also recommended to make injections - 2 ml of a 0.5% solution of novocaine and 0.1% solution of epinephrine at the site of the bite. After the threat of life has passed, you should consult a doctor.

Why gadfly bite does not pass?

If the gadfly bite does not pass for a long time, you need to contact an infectious disease specialist and check for the development of a parasitic disease, the presence of larvae under the skin. Even if the diagnosis is refuted, appropriate treatment will be prescribed. If necessary, a differential diagnosis is carried out, which will differentiate the gadfly bite from the bites of other insects.

Any gadfly bite is associated with the development of an allergic reaction. This entails itching that can be relieved with antihistamines. In addition, if worried about severe itching, prescribed antipruritic agents in the form of local ointments. They prescribe not only local, but also systemic agents, such as strengthening, regenerating, immunostimulating agents. They strengthen the immune system, increase the overall resistance and endurance of the body.

For the prevention and treatment of gadfly bites used various essential oils. It is impossible to use them in pure form, therefore they are diluted in base oils for massage (2-3 drops of essential oil per 40-50 grams of base oil). Put on the bite. Such oils as rosemary, lavender, juniper, lemon, spruce, fir, eucalyptus have proven themselves well. They quickly relieve itching, prevent inflammation, allergies, are the prevention of infection and parasitic invasion.[2]

Gadfly bite marks

Recognize the gadfly bite can be on the characteristic trail that remains of it. This is a small dot, puncture of the skin. Around it almost always forms redness, slight swelling of the skin, swelling, and severe itching. However, there are times when edema does not develop.

Usually, after the treatment has been carried out, the trace disappears completely, there are no scars. In any case, you need to visit a doctor who will examine the bite and make a diagnosis. In this case, an important role can be played by differential diagnosis, which is based on the need to differentiate the signs of different bites, which have approximately the same external manifestations. In addition to visual inspection, additional laboratory and instrumental studies may be required.

Primarily, complex therapy is used, which includes both drugs of systemic action and local ointments and creams against itching, edema, and inflammation. Apply special creams, ointments, gels, which can be bought at the pharmacy in finished form, or prepared at home by yourself, using the available recipe. In order to quickly remove the edema, diphenhydramine (0.025 - 0.05 mg orally) is used. [3]There is also a large number of combined remedies that include various nonsteroidal remedies, such as aspirin.[4]

Skin rashes in the bite of the gadfly

A characteristic feature of the bite of a gadfly is redness and swelling. Skin rashes can develop in a person who has a tendency to dermatological diseases. But this is rarely observed and usually, some time after being bitten, after about 5-10 days. The bite of a gadfly can provoke an exacerbation of already existing skin diseases.

After a bite of gadfly, swelling and redness

Redness develops immediately after the bite of the gadfly. But the tumor may develop after 5-14 days, and usually it is an unfavorable sign. This may indicate that the bite site was infected, and an inflammatory process develops, [5]  or that larvae have entered the body. [6]Both in that and in another case the immediate qualified help is required. In no case can one engage in self-treatment. It is necessary to consult a doctor as soon as possible. If possible, refer to an infectious diseases specialist, parasitologist or bacteriologist. If there are no such doctors in the clinic, the therapist will be enough, he will give the right direction, to the necessary specialist. Perhaps the surgeon will help, or you will need advice in a specialized infectious diseases hospital.

Itching at gadfly bite

There is nothing surprising or unnatural in the fact that the bite of a gadfly itches. This is a completely natural reaction, since an allergic reaction develops after a bite. A large number of antibodies, histamine, can cause itching, and other symptoms that develop mostly locally.

The treatment is to prevent the development of an inflammatory, infectious process and severe allergies. If the bites are scratched, then first of all, you need to drink antiallergic agent, as well as anoint them with a special antipruritic agent.

The main means of anti-allergic action is suprastin. It is taken 1 tablet 2-3 times a day. Suprastin has one major drawback - it can cause drowsiness and a slow response. Also, anti-inflammatory ointments, as well as anti-itch and allergy ointments, also help with bites. Use steroid and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The following ointments work well: diclofenac, ibuprofen, indomethacin, naproxen.

Swelling from a gadfly bite

The bite of a gadfly can develop edema, and this happens in most cases. Most often, complex treatment is prescribed, which includes both drug treatment and local remedies. The bite is treated with anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory agent, or a special antiseptic. A great addition to the standard therapy is compresses, lotions, baths and complex therapeutic baths, ingestion of stimulating balms.

Bruise from a gadfly bite

Bruise is a rare occurrence. The bite of a gadfly often develops swelling, redness, pain, and burning. A bruise (hematoma) can be the result of clamping or damage to a small blood vessel, a capillary, in which hemorrhage occurred under the skin. Also, a similar reaction occurs with severe edema, from which the vessel suffers. It is necessary to take measures aimed at the elimination of edema, removal of hematoma. Usually bruises appear 3-4 days after the bite, not earlier. Well help baths, compresses, lotions with the use of various medicinal decoctions and infusions. You can take immunostimulant inside.

The temperature of the bite gadfly

The increase in temperature from the bite of the gadfly indicates that a systemic reaction develops in the body, in which the inflammatory and infectious process affects not only the place of the bite. There is a generalization of the reaction to the entire body. Requires comprehensive treatment and mandatory consultation with a specialist. The danger lies in the fact that infection can occur, or the development of a parasitic disease (larvae fall under the skin).

Found an error? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.

You are reporting a typo in the following text:
Simply click the "Send typo report" button to complete the report. You can also include a comment.