Australia is known not only for its comfortable and warm climate, a variety of coral reefs or the Harbor Bridge, but also because of its mass of very dangerous animals.
In Australia, you can meet extremely dangerous fauna: it is deadly poisonous reptiles, spiders, insects, as well as crocodiles and sea predators - sharks.
A Ph.D. From the University of Melbourne, Professor R. Welton tried to clarify which animal from all Australian diversity represents the greatest danger to humans. The results of statistical analyzes surprised her very much.
In the course of the study, the scientist compared the information on hospitalizations from the Institute of Health and Social Security of Australia, for the period 2000-2013.
It was found that during this long period of time, 27 people were killed and killed by snakes. Approximately the same number of people died from the bite of insects such as wasps and bees. Bites of poisonous spiders sent to hospital beds more than eleven thousand people, but none of them died since 1999.
For thirteen years, 26 Australians died as a result of the attack of sharks, and 19 - due to the bite of crocodiles.
The greatest number of deaths, namely, seventy-four, is the result of the bites of horses. It would seem that horses are revered and safe animals of Australia. However, they provoked more deaths than other really dangerous creatures.
Let's remind: earlier experts have been made the list of the most deadly representatives of the Australian fauna:
- The blue-eyed octopus, which can send 26 healthy men to one world with its own bite, and its poison is recognized as stronger by action than cyanide, by 10,000 times.
- Tiger snake is a two-meter reptile, the bite of which causes numbness, paralysis and death.
- Thirteen varieties of dangerous spider "black widow", the defeat of which causes a lot of unpleasant symptoms, including paresis, paresthesia and even mental disturbance.
- Spider Atrax, whose bite is deadly to humans.
- A crested coastal crocodile - its bite is considered stronger than that of a white shark. Crocodiles attack people near the shore, or at a shallow coastal depth.
- Desert snake Taipan, capable of killing up to a hundred people with a single dose of its poison, since the secretion of its glands is almost 180 times more toxic than the cobra.
- Shark bulls are relatively lazy creatures, which can not be said for males, who are even too aggressive and attack, including, people.
- Kubomeduza and jellyfish Irukandzhi are light translucent small jellyfish, the bite of which causes unbearable pain and death.
Professor Welton, who spent a lot of time studying statistical facts, noted that her work completely upsets the stereotype about the extent and categories of danger of Australian animals. After all, horses were not considered before, like animals, representing for people any danger.